15 September 2007

University Credit for watching YouTube

Don't you wish your local University would offer this course?

SoCal college offers YouTube class
Fri Sep 14, 6:52AM ET

CLAREMONT, Calif. - Here's a dream-come-true for Web addicts: college credit for watching YouTube.

Pitzer College this fall began offering what may be the first course about the video-sharing site. About 35 students meet in a classroom but work mostly online, where they view YouTube content and post their comments.

Class lessons also are posted and students are encouraged to post videos. One class member, for instance, posted a 1:36-minute video of himself juggling.

Alexandra Juhasz, a media studies professor at the liberal arts college, said she was "underwhelmed" by the content on YouTube but set up the course, "Learning from YouTube," to explore the role of the popular site.

Class members control most of the class content and YouTube watchers from around the world are encouraged to comment, Juhasz said.

She hopes the course will raise serious issues about YouTube, such as the role of "corporate-sponsored democratic media expression."

YouTube is "a phenomenon that should be studied," student Darren Grose said. "You can learn a lot about American culture and just Internet culture in general."

Really? And to know I had to go through class after class of excrutiatingly painful finance and accounting courses... Bluh...

So what's next? People graduating with a bachelors degree in YouTube Analysis, with a minor in Facebook Appreciation?

12 comments:

Missy said...

finance and accounting are painful? 3ayal economics shnw :(

Ammaro said...

thats not the point missy!

youtube!

YOUTUBE!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

When I was in my final year, I had to decide on a project. During my search one of the projects I came across was the effect of facebook on the american way of life.

N.B. I was looking for an IT project for my final year and that was listed as a recommeneded project by a lecturer at some university.

Redbelt said...

Well why not?
So long as they learn. I'm not gonna be the one that stands against new things.
Michael Jackson, VCRs, Satellites, internet
We are afraid of non traditional media outlets? Let it be man.

Anonymous said...

An elective course on Youtube would be fun:D but there's only the business bullshit...sorry, I just hate our elective courses.

Missy said...

lol I knowww! but I didnt know what to say, like I wouldn't pay 400 dinars for a "youtube course" :p I'd rather get myself a handbag or a sexy pair of shoes :D

Unknown said...

I think the course came about because the professor is a youtube addict. Don't you think so!

Anonymous said...

That's great! :P

I think N. is right; probably the professor is a youtube addict

KJ said...

One more reason to commit suicide

Anonymous said...

Don't you think the professor is getting some sort of commission from the YouTube people? :p I can't imagine anyone failing this class or even getting anything less than an A+! You'd have to be a genuine idiot :p

Ammaro said...

yeah, seriously, how could you screw up on the course?
umm.. i still dont know how to upload videos, sir

Anonymous said...

YouTube rocks !!

btw ... youtube is blocked in our uni ... UOB !!!!