4 March 2008

Scratch My Disc


Whoever came up with the Compact Disc concept needs to get shot. Although we've started off with CD's, moved on to VCD's, then DVD's and now the Blu-Ray and HD DVD's (which were recently killed off), the reality of the situation is that they're really damn FLIMSY.

Unless you make sure you always put them in the box the same way you took them out, don't place them on any other surface, careful when handling them, etc, you are BOUND to get a scratch or two on there. And here's where the big problem lies; one scratch or two can screw up your whole movie-watching/videogame-playing/music-listening experience.

Multiply this problem by ten if you're talking about rental DVD's. There are bound to be people who have rented this DVD before you, and considering it isn't theirs, they won't exactly take the utmost care in not getting scratched.

Yesterday, I watched a DVD movie. Which movie it was is not the issue; the issue is that it took me three and a half hours to watch a 2-hour movie. Why? The first hour went by smoothly, and when I got really into the movie, it started freezing on certain scenes because of the scratches. So I had to take the DVD out, wipe/clean/jump on it and then play it again to watch the scene and so on, till it froze again, repeat, and so on till the end.

I miss video tapes. Well, not the rewinding part, but you can bet placing them on a table or something won't waste you an extra hour and a half on watching a movie.

11 comments:

Dr. Shale bin Agnon said...

You mean watch something that is not on a hard disk? The prob with blu-ray is that many of us just do not care. We would prefer convenience to accuracy beyond the notice of our eyesight.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, video tapes are great! When ppl tell me to convert my old taped stuff from a video tape to a DVD I actually feel like I might lose them more easily this way!

KJ said...

mininova my friend!

Big Pearls said...

I am missing all the old things right now!

HA! Entertainment said...

wadaya know, we're living the world today of delicate,fragile, easily lost technology.

Redbelt said...

My good sir seems to have forgotten how tapes had a tendency to get chewed up inside the video players. That and the appalling and depreciating quality.

Eyad said...

Long live elictronic storage, all this bullshit will soon be extint, all you have to do is log on to itunes or MS market place, buy the movie and down load it as many times as you want.

External HD's FTW.

Shionge said...

Oh Gosh, it must be frustrating for you, get a refund from the shop. Ya, video tape is my time too ;D

Shwaish said...

u jumped the dvd?

Woozie said...

You don't miss video tapes if you've ever had a VCR eat your tape. Scratches can be fixed.

Anonymous said...

You can have your scratched DVD"S, CD's and game disc resurfaced at www.discrepairservices.com My call of duty disc looks brand new...