27 November 2006

So Google buys YouTube...

Dammit dammit dammit! Now if you're wondering why i'm running around kicking myself, its because this is scenario is something i've been going over in my head for the past 3 or 4 months. Not exactly google buying youtube, but the fact that I need to come up with some crazy zany idea that will get sold to some huge capitalist net-business like Yahoo or Google, and make me millions.

Now these guys who made YouTube, founded it in Feb 2005. The service was launched in December 2005. So effectively, its been running less than a year. Now with over 70 million videos being watched every day on YouTube, Google decides, hey, that looks like a good business idea.

1.65 billion dollars later, it's theirs.

Yup, thats right. Not a million dollars. Not a few million, not even a few hundered million. A straight out cool 1.65 billion dollars.

I'm not here to go into the financial details or how its gonna profit google or whatnot. Im here to talk about those two guys who run the business, Chad Hurley and Steven Chen. How must they feel right now? Well, its pretty obvious, they just released a video of themselves talking on YouTube and they can't stop giggling.You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCVxQ_3Ejkg

Just picture how they must feel. One day they probably had trouble getting together enough change to get a decent meal (well, maybe not, but you get the idea). The next day, theyre billionaires. BILLIONAIRES. Thats ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, i'm nto hating on them. I can actually feel their joy. It's just a bit overwhelming trying to grasp how big this situation is. And this is me talking. I wonder how they must feel.

Anyhow, i'm still working on my super-secret internet project that I will be launching soon. Size-wise, its not YouTube, but i'm planning on selling it to Google (or Yahoo, or MSN or whoever is willing to actually buy my dumb idea) for a few million. Hell, a million will do. You know what? I can do with a few hundered thousand.

Way to go Chad & Steve. You guys are like... Well, I don't even know the words to describe it. I guess all I can say is well done :)

No comments: